Frequently Asked Questions

Rater FAQ

• Aren’t most of the ratings negative from employees who want to vent?

Like any rating or review site, RME is affected by what is called in statistics, self-selection bias. This bias arises in any situation in which individuals select themselves into a group that form the sample (in our case the sample of people rating employers).
    It is human nature to voice our displeasure rather than express our satisfaction; hence the greater number of negative ratings.
    Therefore, the results give a better idea of what makes unhappy employees unhappy than what makes happy employees happy.

• Does RateMyEmployer.ca censor reviews?

We don’t, so please use proper language that is suitable for the general public. RME is user moderated. Any comment that violates the terms and conditions of use can be flagged as inappropriate by RME users themselves.

• How are employer ratings established?

Any current or former employee of a Canadian employer can rate different aspects such as atmosphere or compensation on a scale of 1 to 5. An average for each aspect as well as an overall score is calculated for a given employer.

• How can I support the site?

Rate your current and former employers with detailed comments and spread the word about RME to friends and co-workers.

• How do I signal an inappropriate comment?

Just click on the “Flag as inappropriate” link at the bottom of each comment. Do not click if you disagree with a comment. In such a case, we advise you to respond to the comment.

• How do I write a review?

Tell the truth – This includes both honesty and transparency. An articulate comment enhances your rating credibility. Do not personally attack anyone, or mention anyone by name, initials or function. Read our posting guidelines.

• How do you make sure ratings are from current or past employees?

We don’t. Anonymity makes such a verification impossible.

• What about my privacy?

First, do not do a rating from your work computer and do not use your work e-mail address. Second, please refrain from illegal, obscene, threatening, libellous, racist or other objectionable or injurious content. Internet anonymity has its limits. All Web servers automatically register visitor information such as Internet protocol addresses. If your comment breaches any law or regulation in force in Canada, we could legally be required to transmit any information we may have (IP address, email if provided, date and hour). Read our Privacy Policy for more information.

• What is the validity of the results?

The process is not fool-proof! RME is an aid for choosing your next employer wisely. You should review the evaluations critically and be aware that some may be fake, ill-founded or from the employer itself (those are usually obvious). The more ratings on a specific employer, the more representative the overall result should be.

• Which employers can be rated?

Any Canadian employer can be rated. However, rating employers with fewer than 20 employees is not recommended since it could be too easy to guess the author of a particular comment.

• Who are we ?

We are jobWings.com careers inc., a Canadian company in the online recruiting industry with over 16 specialized job boards. Although we may lose some of our employer customers by going ahead with this project, we decided to do it anyway since we have always considered job seekers as our primary customers.

• Who can write a review?

Any employee or former employee of any given Canadian employer.

• Why are we doing all this?

Many employers use Internet search engines and social networking sites to research potential employees and use what they find in their candidate screening process.

So we decided that it would be fair for job seekers to be able to do some kind of background check and pre-employment screening too!

Employer FAQ

• As an employer, how do I use this site?

Monitor your corporate reputation through this uncontrolled and spontaneous diagnostic tool and possibly take corrective action.

By listening to what is said about you, you could reap the following benefits:

• A faster awareness of glaring issues that you can proactively fix before they affect your corporate reputation.
      • A free audit of your employer brand highlighting your strengths and weaknesses.
      • A benchmark with your peers from the same industry.
      • An alternative to too politically correct, employer-driven, best employer awards.

If your overall score is good, you could consider using RME to empower your recruiting with a link from your corporate career site to your RME ratings.

If your overall score is low, reasons are usually detailed in the raters' comments. It's a good start for a corporate self-assessment.

• How can I get more ratings for my company ?

Send an e-mail to invite all your employees to fill out a rating from home (not on company time; guaranteed confidentiality).

• How can I remove a comment?

As an employer, you can ask for the withdrawal of a comment if the content of such is in breach with RME terms and conditions of use. Send your request to info@ratemyemployer.ca, including the comment itself and the grounds for your request. You will receive an answer within 72 hours.

Disagreeing with a comment does not constitute a motive for its withdrawal. In such a case, you could consider responding to the comment (see next question).

• How can I remove my organization from the site?

You can’t

• How can I respond to a comment?

Any employer who wishes to respond officially to a comment may do so by registering. To do this, you must provide the name of a contact person for identification purposes. Any statement by an employer will be clearly identified as being from that employer.

Unanswered questions or suggestions?

Please use our contact form