WestJet

Industry: Tourism, Travel, Passenger transportation

• Westjet attempts to use their "culture" to distract employees from what a good job really should have, as in a decent wage, good(usable) benefits, and a proper HR structure. Instead, WJ employees who aren't fortunate enough to be located at the 'mother ship' in Calgary, get work space which is essentially storage closets with makeshift desks and terminals. The travel benefits have a plethora of rules and blackouts, (...).

Posted on 11 January 2011 by Rater #100 | Flag as inappropriate

Comments

You're a typical right-winger: Hate everything that is socialist UNTIL you can benefit from one aspect of it. Suck it up buttercup or else you can always go work at Wally Mart.

Posted on 21 January 2012

I currently work at WestJet and you have a point. I think if you live in Calgary there is a nice campus and room for advancement but in other provinces it can be hard to move up. There isn't a great wage for front line staff, the amount of profit sharing is eaten up by the top so it isn't as much as it used to be. I am pretty right wing and NOT into unions but I sometimes think a union would be needed to get management to give a real raise to front line staff. And also for front line staff they have freezes so your wage tops out after I think 7 or 10 years and you would think after 5 years it would jump a bit but nope it is not much of a raise. I like the flight perks but it is hard to even afford to travel, luckily my husband makes ok money.

Posted on 7 October 2011

Such a typical WestJet response to the valid concerns of the original poster. "If you don't like it, go away, we're all happy here on the good ship Lollipop." It's exactly this attitude - "Take what you get and ignore unethical management and employee exploitation" - that is going to bring in the unions. First the pilots, then the mechanics, and then the flight attendants. Telling people to shut up and quit is exactly what is wrong with this company. Yes there are benefits, but it doesn't make up for taking advantage of employees and tolerating a management team who throws away money on idiotic programs while asking employees to do more and more for the same wage.

Posted on 14 May 2011

Firstly, the flexible benefits at WestJet are awesome and reasonably priced for upgrades. I get free massages, physio, sports psychologist, nutritionist and other services. Last year I had a ton of dental work done - that was covered too! Stock plan is also great put in 20% you get 20% back - its a 20% raise. Profit share - yep - it goes up and down - but its still free money you wouldn't get at most other employers... If you feel this negatively about your job - perhaps you should consider finding happiness elsewhere.

Posted on 11 March 2011