WestJet

Industry: Tourism, Travel, Passenger transportation

• It's a decent place to work if you're a flight attendant or a pilot. Any other job description results in mediocrity. Many managers are former flight attendants - regardless of their qualifications for their new position. Many simply don't know what they're doing. A few years ago, they stopped having employees do management feedback forms, because managers scored so low and the feedback was so negative. Now that's hiding your head in the sand!

Processes are non-existent. The leadership literally flies by the seat of their pants. So if you're someone that would like things documented or even thought through for more than five minutes, this isn't the place for you. Power plays are common throughout because of this anarchistic environment - since no one is held accountable for anything, if you want to advance in your career, simply start a smear campaign on the person with the position you covet.

There are no flex days. Vacations are limited to two weeks, even for people with considerable work experience. Pay is 90% of what they find to be industry average. Because of these factors, the quality of the people they hire are generally sub-par. So your co-workers will be some of the most mediocre people you've ever worked with.

Profit sharing gets smaller and smaller, as they add more and more employees. They match stock purchases, but there is no pension plan, and you can only sell the stock after a certain vesting period and only during certain times of the year.

Posted on 3 April 2008 by Rater #32 | Flag as inappropriate

Comments

I have recently been laid off of WestJet, at first when I started I was very excited, but as time went on I found there are 2 WestJets. The front end joke telling FA's and the back stabbing immature former flight attendant who are now managers. I have nothing bad to say about WestJet as a whole, but they seem to want people who fit into the culture first and perform second and promote based on the length of someone's ID #. I have 10 years experience in business analysis and had some "managers" had problems working there blackberry. PACT is a joke by the way...

Posted on 14 May 2009

PACT is a fake union: You pay union dues,, yet get no union help.
Smart move on management side.

Posted on 18 April 2009

Comments 3 person... do you work for a union?

We have an internal system which acts similar to a union and we don't need you coming in and buggering it up and eating our profit share.

You don't care about us, you care about your union dues and making money.

Get lost!!!!

Posted on 11 October 2008

From a customer's point of view, you guys are head and shoulders above your direct competition. It hurts when i have to fly AC - cranky, lazy, arrogant flight staff. What i'm saying is, even though it may be frustrating at times to work for WJ, your customers are so much better served.

Too bad about promoting staff to management without the requisite training as the roles are very different.

Posted on 6 July 2008

thanks for this honest and wide-eyed view. this is the reality of a non-unionized environment, the line between 'worker' and 'manager' is blurred.

Posted on 13 June 2008

Just to correct the above, they actually do a company wide survey for feedback every 2-3 years. Due to the expense, this is normal. I would like to see it become a yearly thing. And it would be even better if they would make the necessary changes. Employees should received quarterly updates on the survey and what areas have been impacted with the required changes. It all seems to have gotten swept under the rug now...

I do hear you on the whole 'inbreeding' management issue. It's kind of scarey to see the amount of people that have made it up the management ladder without alot of exposure to life outside the company. I think there should be a required mix of internal/external. And alot more courses on development for leaders. They seem few and far between.

Posted on 10 June 2008

I don't know in which departement you work, but at the airport, we are still the ones doing our management feedback forms, I have my RRSP's with the ESP program, I have 3 weeks vacations and the pay has been at 100% median since last year for all Airlines band employees. And my profit share as been bigger and bigger everytime... again... I don't know where you work... but it's not where I do!

Posted on 23 April 2008