Vancouver Coastal Health

Industry: Health Care, Social Assistance

• I have worked for this employer for 28 years. It was an excellent workplace then; many reorganizations have eroded that. Now it is a toxic workplace, neither physically or psychologically safe. The manager refused to correct unsafe working conditions. Front line staff work heroically to care for the most vulnerable people in crisis, in spite of management, rather than supported by them. We are getting burned out. Upper management instigate reorganizations without regard for impacts on front line workers or patients, and never come down to the front line to find out what it is like. We are the actual carers, which is the whole point of the existence of the organization. We're the ones who live what it's actually like, working with increasing workloads, increasing complexity, decreased staff, decreased hours, decreased resources, decreased supports, no communication, no control, no respect. Then another round of cuts, and we are expected to do even more with even less. The people who care, and do a heroic job, get burnt out, and have to go on stress leave, or worse stress related illnesses. The ones who manage to stay become hardened; stop using empathy so they can survive there. Kowtow to the bully managers and you can get on. Express concern about safety, patient or staff health and welfare, and you get targeted.
    I can no longer work there or anywhere because of the long term stress illness from the toxic workplace.
    Don't work here, or make plans to get out; ruining your health from working here is not worth it. But I feel so sorry for the patients who have to be there.

Posted on 9 May 2016 by Rater #22 | Flag as inappropriate