Vancouver Coastal Health

Industry: Health Care, Social Assistance

• Worked for this employer for over 8 years. Eventually left when they cut the 9 day fortnight. Couldn't work in front line health care delivery in the Downtown Eastside for 8 years without it. The rate of pay is great, and the benefits are fabulous, if you can use them, but dealing with management and the constant cutting of sick time rates was ridiculous. I literally had hundreds of sick hours in my bank when I left and would come to work on a regular basis when ill (infecting both my coworkers and my sick, vulnerable clients) because I would be threatened with a panel interview of managers trying to enrol me in a monitoring program that put my job on the line if I were to take more sick time than 1 day every 8 weeks. Good luck working in the DTES without getting sick every few months for a few days. If I can't use the sick time I've earned, it seems like a poor system. Management was in the practice of nitpicking and bullying and didnt care about anything other than numbers and percentages of time spent at work. As a professional, it was insulting to have my work tallied up as if clinical work could be measured by results and budgets. It was generally a most hostile environment for those without narcissistic tendencies.

Posted on 10 December 2013 by Rater #14 | Flag as inappropriate

Comments

this comment tells it how it is

Posted on 22 August 2014