Vancouver Coastal Health

Industry: Health Care, Social Assistance

• VCH doesn't care a bit for the well-being of employees, and they tell us so in no uncertain terms. Decisions are made at the top of a deep hierarchy and delivered down through layers of middle management with no opportunity for consultation or feedback. The people making decisions about client care, workload, and service delivery are so far removed from the work that many decisions make no logical sense whatsoever. The message from immediate supervisors? "We're helpless. Suck it up."

The skilled and educated people delivering care are doing their best, with no real support from above. This is one of the most backward and top-heavy organizations I've ever worked for. The only way to survive is to keep your head down, shut up, and focus on the work.

VCH is truly a soul-sucking place to work. Avoid at all costs, because once they get you hooked in with that non-transferable pension, and the illusion of job security, it's extremely difficult to break free.

Posted on 26 June 2013 by Rater #10 | Flag as inappropriate