Vancouver Coastal Health

Industry: Health Care, Social Assistance

• I worked in this organization, quite awhile, and although they're "healthcare" if you have an illness of your own you find you are constantly fighting to be able to be allowed to go to your own doctor's appointments.

I have fought many times, with previous supervisors, causing my own personal stress to increase because of not being able to fulfill my own health issues leaving me to leave my career for the private sector.

I now work in a retail environment, as a self-employed individual, and I have much better flexibility and more freedom than I ever had working for this organization in the whole entire time I worked there.

Never again, will I ever be told I "can't talk", nor will I have been turned down for other positions because "the boss's daughter" decided she wanted a job. I have also seen many people get ripped apart, for attendance, to the point where their reputations had been destroyed.

In regards to sick time, the upper management commended us on getting our sick time down to 5.2%, and then that would be an opportune moment to work on getting it down to 4.2%. I was getting the idea that no sick time was allowed, on any scale, which eventhough we all were meeting their expectations eventually sick time would be non-existent in the future.

Their vision, to society on a whole, I found was not what we saw on the inside. What we saw on the inside, and now when you see any healthcare related incident in the media, management threatens people with disclipinary action should any "reality" gets leaked.

Posted on 3 March 2011 by Rater #3 | Flag as inappropriate

Comments

I could not agree with you more!!!
Of all people who should be the most accommodating for those of us with terminal or severe illnesses - who STILL manage to outwork their peers... you think we would be treated with more respect and dignity.
Very sad indeed.