University of New Brunswick

Industry: Education, Training

• This University has Support Staff hiring practices that are so marred by nepotism and cronyism that it is ridiculous. Despite what is on their code of conduct the conflict of interest is ignored. The service department that I work in has quite a high turnover and the positions are now slowly being filled by cronies of a higher-up. This leaves the employees who have been their for a long time with two choices, Try to find work in another part of the University or become a sycophant to avoid becoming a target. There are some great departments as well but hiring practices can still be suspect.If it were not for my pension and other benefits, I would seriously think of quitting. Also, there are some dishonest practices that make me extremely uncomfortable. Lately I have just been trying to stay under the radar until something appropriate opens up in another department and then I can apply and hope that the position is not already earmarked for someones sister-in law or friend,.

Posted on 2 April 2009 by Rater #1 | Flag as inappropriate

Comments

UNB is a JOKE as far as fair hiring goes. It is filled to the brim with relatives and friends. Children and relatives of staff and faculty get first crack at student jobs even though they already get a tuition benefit and pay half of what other students pay. Then even if they do a pathetic job, they get rehired. One department had three siblings working there even though that is not supposedly allowed due to obvious conflict of interest problems. My co-worker got her sister-in -law hired even though she was fired from her previous job for incompetency. She used her as a reference even thought they had never worked together. Everyone knows this is going on unless they are sensory deprived and totally stunned but unless there is an overhaul of Human Resources (which will never happen) it will continue well into the future all while they pat themselves on the back for being awesome. It is true that certain departments and faculties have better reputations than others but that only makes them harder to get into because of lack of turnover.

Posted on 18 August 2009

I work at the University and while I am treated well in my job, know many others who are not. Certain departments have reputations that are extremely negative and are known for having double standards in how employees are treated that are not based on job performance but on favouritism and friends and relatives working together,

Posted on 2 April 2009