TD Canada Trust

Industry: Bank, Insurance, Financial services

• I spent quite a few years with TD and honestly speaking from an overall, 'bigger picture' framework, the company has a strong vision and does place a focus on the employee experience. Like any retail branch environment, however, your experience will depend primarily on who your direct manager(s) are. I left after transitioning to a new role, a new branch and a new manager that just didn't do it for me. I really believe life is too short to spend being unhappy or deing with nonsensical egos, therefore I quit!

One thing to keep in mind is they will praise you, love you and place you on 'succession planning' when you are having a great quarter, year, decade etc. Yet the moment you hit a snag or dry period in your results, adios man, be prepared to be coached to death and have the same useless conversations every week staring at your scorecard. It's not a two way street, only one lane over here.

Another thing to note is that many branch managers simply float around to different branches, and in BC wjere corporate is relatively non-existent, this seems to be the norm. Many aren't willing to go to Toronto, and therefore many the lower level employees simply get stuck in these positions only seeing minor promotions (ie fsr to mcs) and then one day have a realization of all their wasted time.

I've met some great people here, and some not so great. Overall if you are looking to get into banking then TD is definitely a better choice over other FIs. But don't expect to avoid all of the natural politics and Naepolian syndromes that run rampant in this industry. If you're creative and confident who isn't afraid to speak what's on your mind then find another organization (or industry for that matter), if you're a yes man who can nod like a bobble-head then by all means give 'er a go

Posted on 16 November 2014 by Rater #76 | Flag as inappropriate

Comments

Oh and another thing I should mention is that the technology TD uses is light years ahead of its competitors. I agree with one reviewer below that in terms of execution and processes, TD does it right about 99% of the time. They are trending towards paperless for most things that don't require signatures. If you have worked for another FI or are contemplating it you should know that TD's technology in comparison to many other banks is like the medieval times versus a world with flying cars, just something to keep in mind.

Posted on 16 November 2014