Structube Furniture and Accessories

• I worked at the College Street location for 2 years and it was great.
    Pros:
    Money- they pay slightly above minimum wage but you make commission on top of that. When I got good at sales I was selling $50-$110000 a month. I made about $45000 a year and I got several thousand back when I did my taxes.
    Team: the stores are small, you’ll have about 5-10 co-workers. I liked all of mine, it was very fun to be there everyday. People with a dark sense of humour will do well in sales. We spent most of the day laughing and joking around while doing our work. We all knew each other well and you could trade shifts anytime, could have whatever days you wanted off.
    The product: they have an excellent website, the company has become wildly popular, very trendy furniture, it sells itself. You could make a small commission without trying. It was nice to work in the showroom surrounded by beautiful things.
    Store hours: they don’t open until 10am, you can go out any night you like and sleep in a bit. They close early on weekends.
    Boredom: sometimes it will be dead, but there is always a million things you can do, or you can disappear, chat with co-workers, it’s nice downtime. It got extremely busy at times so managers let us slack off and relax often to make up for that.
    Cons:
    Management- I had 2 managers in my time there, they were career managers, and they both sucked, but it really does take a certain type of loser to be a retail manager for life. Just have to deal with their nonsense.
    Assembly- I guess to save money, the stores no longer have stock boys. So you will have to assemble and disassemble all furniture for the showroom. You’ll get really good at it, that’s what you do in downtime when there are no customers.
    Uniform: you have to dress business casual, I invested thousands in clothes that was ruined while doing general labour in the store. But you can pretty much wear whatever you want except jeans.
    Info: there is almost no training, they aren’t good at passing down info from the top of the company, we really just found things out from updates on the website.
    Customers: this is discount furniture store for 20-30 somethings, often rich old people will come in and expect the service they get at expensive furniture stores, give you a bit of hell. Trying to arranging deliveries with dates and times is difficult for a lot of people and they will freak out if they don’t get what they want when they want it, a seasoned person in customer service will have smooth sailing.
    Loading Dock: if you are a boy, you will be expected to unload hundreds of boxes from transport trucks and move them. It is gruelling labour, just once a week. All staff will have to move boxes and lift a lot of weight. Just deal with it.
    Lunch: you get a half hour or an hour depending on your shift. There is no staff room, no space for it. You will be making so much money you can eat out everyday.

Final thoughts: it was hard work, but once I got good at making sales, and assembling I loved it. It’s heavy labour at times but mostly a casual fun place to work, just hanging out in the furniture store. I highly recommend working here, it was a great start to my interior decorating resume.

Posted on 30 June 2019 by Rater #17 | Flag as inappropriate