Shoppers Drug Mart (Corporate)

• I’ve been employed with SDM for almost four years. I came from another grocery chain under Loblaws Umbrella where the moral was suffering. Since being with SDM, my store has gone through renovations to incorporate more grocery and bring in more PC and NN brands. This nice modern drugstore franchise has slowly transitioned into and visually unappealing smaller version of Superstore. I’ve also seen the stress build on mngmnt.
    In the busiest location in Western Canada, Loblaw has taken away labor hours causing longer line ups at the front cash, unhappy customers, and adding more stress on mngmnt due to lack of employees creating more work for everyone. The moral has changed and we are treated like slave workers. The security is minimal and new policies allow shoplifters to steal, right in front of the employees knowing there’s nothing we can do to stop them. This is a major issue that is extremely stressful and mentally exhausting having to deal with these types of people on a daily basis. And the verbal and physical abuse from customers as well, from name calling to having objects thrown at you or having some agitated pharmacy patient walking through the store knocking over any display stand that they walk past causing hundreds -thousands of dollars of damaged property and product.
    Nobody deserves to work in an environment at the mercy of customers who believe they have the right to talk down to the employees.
    This all stems from Loblaws Head Office treating every employee as a number on a piece of paper, and forgetting those numbers are actually humans working very hard to keep the company operating and for poverty wages

Posted on 1 March 2019 by Rater #53 | Flag as inappropriate