Shaw Communications

Size of company: Small (1 - 49 employees)

Industry: Telecommunications

• Shaw pays decent wages and that's about the only good thing I can say. They talk a good game on career development and employee engagement and so on, but almost every job is absolutely dead-end and there is no plan to advance anyone, no training, nothing. It's just bleak. I actually enjoy my skillset and I happen to really value drive and work ethic as personal values but it's a daily struggle to exercise either simply because the company fails its employees on so many levels. Safety regime is at least 15 years behind the rest of the industry - at least - and it's a never-ending coin toss as to who is making my life more miserable: the management, who can't figure out how to organize processes well enough to decide who's responsible for voice provisioning and who for data, or the union, who actually prevented my entire position from getting a raise on the grounds that if we bargained for that, we'd get it, and the old guys on the bargaining committee wanted extra perks for the other dinosaurs. I hate this place and if I didn't have a gigantic mortgage I'd leave yesterday.

Posted on 29 September 2017 by Rater #316 | Flag as inappropriate