Save On Foods

• I've worked for 2 Save-on stores for almost 3 years in mulitple departments as a DS.
    Business model, vision and strategy: "Always customer first" try putting some effort into your employees first.
    Management's skills: Can't really say about other department managers but my manager(s) are actually pretty good at managing our department.
    Values and corporate culture: Alot of promoted charity events and stuff, but nothing to promote the respect of employees or equity for that matter.
    Internal communication: Communication between managers and employees are practically non-existant with the exeption of my manager and me.
    Feedback: Manager gives feedback almost every few months or so.
    Recognition: Barely recognized at all for the work I have done except for the few thank-you's here and there by my manager.
    Pride: Graduated with a university degree and working at minimum wage job with no chance for advancement. No pride left in me at all.
    Engagement: Partially because I actually do product orders.
    Workspace: Small but very busy store with store fixtures and equipment breaking everywhere.
    Atmosphere: Atmosphere is good because of fellow co-workers however there is a huge split between managers and workers. (managers in one room, co-workers in another)
    Recruitment, development, retention: Store recruits based on experience in retail or from within. Developement is only really done through the computer which is stupid. High turnover.
    Tasks and responsibilites: Giving more than I should have been given which is good becuase it builds upon my skills, however, no real compensation for taking on more responsibility.
    Teamwork and cooperation: No real teamwork between managers and workers. Mainly between co-workers.
    Organization of work: Set days for freight and backstock, however backstock all over the place.
    Compensation and benefits: Cannot op out of benefits. Hard work not rewared. System of raises only benefits those with full-time and experience. Raises are not much to speak of.
    Schedule, work load and holidays: No holidays - only time off. Work load medium but heavy during the holidays (e.g. christmas). Had fairly good schedule because my manager actually gives a damn and tries to give as much hours as possible to me.
    Stress: Usually light but heavier during busy months.
    Work/family life balance: Low work hours means more time to spend with family
    Advancement: No chance of advancement in store unless (maybe) moving to other stores.
    Recommendable: Only those who want a temporary low paying job. (e.g. a student)
    (((((((TLDR))))))) this company is only good if your manager(s) actually give a damn about you which in my case some actually do, however, it is not a company you would want to advance your career with unless you're already a manager there.

Posted on 12 August 2012 by Rater #1 | Flag as inappropriate

Comments

yea as a disabled person, I have the same problems with Slave on. Never get recognized for anything. Customers write comment cards and they don't bring it up. Work as hard as you want they don't care, no raise, no award. The company is crap and pay is minimal. There is good reason customer service is dropping. Highest shrink item is not a perishable but rather employee morale.

Posted on 15 February 2015

I can see how cheap pay and pack mule work loads can lead to lots of staff turnovers. I hardly see any experienced older workers who know superior customer service anymore at Save On Foods stores. The cheap pay just hires a dwindling pool of inexperienced and poorly trained teens to do the jobs. The quality decline is blatant. This is the same for every other company or organization.

Posted on 13 November 2012

Save On Foods is part of the Jim Pattison Group, like Metro Toyota/Lexus, Pattison Signs, Q100FM, Zone91.3FM, and many others. People told me they are super stingy cheap at paying staff, doing building repairs and clean ups. They basically like to collect profit and try never spending any money on operations expenses. I get the impression they would try to make the workers do things for free like slaves. Many people said Pattison Group corporation is "cheap". That is why there seems to be constant staff turnovers.

Posted on 10 October 2012

Posted on 8 October 2012

No matter if your job is high or low ranked with another employer, you are totally dependent on your employer to get pay cheques. You can have your pay cheque supply cut off for whatever reason or circumstances. The ideal life is to try to get a 2nd or 3rd or more separate lines of income that you own and nobody can take away your cash flow at their whim. Even if you are CEO of the company, you are still just someone else's high paid rank wage slave. The owner, Board of Directors and stock holders can still fire you at the Annual General Meeting.

Posted on 8 October 2012

The enitre company is really cheap and slave driving for the amount of work dumped on you and the low rate of pay. Perhaps the West Side Victoria store is just worse than the other Save On Foods? The only reason why the Grocery Clerk pay is now minimum wage @10.25 is because the BC government raised minimum wage. Us ex staff, back in 1986 made much better unionized wages at Save On Foods. Now, it is a bad joke.

Posted on 30 August 2012

That Victoria West Side Village store just seems to go through staff like nuts, comment 3. Now they are putting out multiple job ads for meat clerks. Something must be driving their staff away?

Posted on 28 August 2012

Friends and I were shopping at Victoria West Bay Save On Foods and I looked around at the situation. They didn't seem to have enough cashiers and stock clerks around. The few stock clerks that were on duty seem all rushed, pressured, dead pan looking. It was like they had too much work to do with not enough staff to do the work properly. I think any new staff they do manage to hire is going to get dumped on?

Posted on 21 August 2012

The Victoria West Bay store has ever repeating job ads on the internet and desperate for staff too. They are willing to train people with no experience at minimum wage. I wonder why they have no current or new recruit staff? Could they be excessively picky for cheap pay? Could they be unwilling to work around other people's other jobs they may have? They want all available hours devoted to Save On Foods, but they won't give you a minimum set number of work hours. They want all from you and want to give nothing back.

Posted on 20 August 2012

Save On Foods was a decent retailer to work for, but not now. Working there waste your time and efforts as they now pay cheap slave wages, give out uneven work load assignments based on how connected and powerful your work social clique is or not. They can give almost no work hours to you at any moments notice and cheap out on the already insignificant pay scale. They can't find and keep staff long and HR continues to play hard to get, too good for you, hiring games. Meanwhile, the staff levels continue to decline and customer service quality declines further.

Posted on 16 August 2012