Samson Belair / Deloitte & Touche

Industry: Accounting, Auditing

• I've worked for companies that are outright corrupt and blasphemous, but my experience at Deloitte, surprisingly, was the worst out of the fare. This is ironic, considering how bright and wonderful the brand is often advertised.

Politics are over-the-top rampant and ripe. People will go as far as send e-mails sucking up to managers just so that they can get on top. As someone previously stated, If you like politics, this firm is for you.

There is practically no teamwork, which is ironic considering how they boast how great the people are during recruiting. When your trying to learn how to do your job, people are either too busy to help you or simply don't care enough to give a damn. People here can be cold as well. Quite often, it is much easier working with the clients than it is to work fellow colleagues.

Hours can be quite long. At least 45 to 50 hours is the norm. As you move up, it can be more. Hence, work-life balance is often an issue, despite how they expound on work-life balance during recruitment.

The only thing good I can say about this firm is the compensation. It isn't over the top, or spectacular, compared to certain industries, but it will get you buy unless your an over-the-top materialist who desires a large house and a large family. The only thing about compensation, however, is that you don't get paid overtime. You are not compensated for those 45-60 hours that you can potentially put it during a week.

One thing that the firm often harps is that when you work at Deloitte, they treat you like a professional. In a way, they do, because they expect you to know quite a bit off the bat. Unfortunately, this also means that they might not necessarily treat you as a human being. You will often experience tight deadlines that will either have ethical consequences or is simply unachievable.

Unless your bent on becoming a chartered accountant or consultant of some such, consider your options carefully. There are, quite frankly, better jobs out there, and while Deloitte stands at one of the top in terms of reputation, always be skeptical and take the brand for what it does. This company might work for you, or it might not, but don't take too much light on what they say if your going through one of their recruitment campaigns.

Posted on 7 October 2011 by Rater #2 | Flag as inappropriate

Comments

I interviewed with them once before, and they never called me back to let me know either way. I kept on calling, they sent me a generic e-mail to let me know that they decided not to move on. I called, as I felt I did an excellent interview, the woman said I did, but they just decided to move on. I won't apply there again.

Posted on 2 December 2011