Queen's University

Industry: Education, Training

• Queen's is going through some financial problems and morale varies hugely by department but there are some good jobs here. I feel some people who work here have never worked anywhere else and do not understand how lucky they are. It is not perfect but it a lot better and pays more than where they could be working in many cases. I know several people who claim to be miserable in their jobs at the University, and yet, they not looking for new employment outside of Queen's. If you can find the right area, it can be a great place to work.

Posted on 8 July 2009 by Rater #3 | Flag as inappropriate

Comments

It's quite a supposition to say that those people critical of Queen's employment practices haven't worked elsewhere. I trust you don't make such suppositions lightly, but that is not my experience. Most people I know came to Queen's after working elsewhere, often in industry, sometimes at other universities. The average age in my unit is probably close to 50 among faculty and staff. The shift in administrative model away from support for teaching and research, one in which Senate provided direction, and towards a business model preferred by mid-to-high-level beaureaucrats and oligarchic trustees is much discussed. No one is surprised that the normally docile administrative staff and other, smaller groups have suddenly unionized. Queen's administration has itself to thank for being in the unenviable position of having to negotiate -- what is it -- five collective agreements this year. Good luck with that!

Posted on 2 February 2011