Petsmart

• Petsmart promises you the world when you apply/get hired but never follow through. They don't pay enough to have a life outside of work, or even just pay the bills, and do provide benefits but with the deductions off your cheques it's still hard to make ends meet, especially if you have a family. In the salon they pay their groomers the bottom rate they are allowed and blame the groomers for not being busy enough when we aren't allowed to advertise or have our own business cards unless WE pay for them. They make you buy all your own equipment ($900+) and don't pay for sharpening. Almost EVERY other salon in town does pay for sharpening, so there's another $200 out of your pocket every couple months. You will barely ever commission out because they hire too many groomers in the slow season "preparing" for the busy season which never comes since there are still too many groomers! So then lots quit and they're back to hiring terrible bathers to help out the overbooked groomers that stuck around. It's a vicious cycle and you do not want to be a part of it. Management is always on smoke breaks or doing "paperwork" so they just come in to tell you what's wrong, not see how hard everyone works because they aren't there to help. Not to mention taking time off is a hassle, if they even remember to put it in. Schedules aren't completed more than about a week in advance and are always changing, even days before, so planning out your own life is impossible. Needless to say I am not happy working for Petsmart because they don't care about anyone but themselves and their managers.

Posted on 4 May 2014 by Rater #8 | Flag as inappropriate