MD Physician Services

Industry: Health Care, Social Assistance

• Please note: this company has been categorized incorrectly. It is not an IT - Software company, though the previous reviewers may have worked in the the IT department.

From their website: MD Physician Services is a wealth and practice management firm with an unrivalled understanding of physicians' unique needs. Owned by the Canadian Medical Association (CMA), MD helps clients build wealth and capitalize on opportunities that ensure they meet their personal and professional goals.

I am an ex-employee of what was then called MD Funds Management. The CMA has a number of subsidiaries and MD Funds Management is one of the largest (and oldest) ones. MD Physician Services is probably the amalgamation of a number of the subsidiaries under the CMA umbrella.

For complete transparency, I have to admit that my departure from MD Management was not voluntary, but I think I can provide a relatively unbiased review. I was with the company for close to ten years.

I would not hesitate to recommend MD to my friends and family - but with a few caveats. For the most part, the executives and some senior managers are well liked, competent, fair and respected. There is a strong corporate culture which aims to engage all employees, from the group of RRSP temps right up to the CEO. There are regular events which are designed to foster teamwork and create a "family" atmosphere. There's the Christmas party, a staff appreciation party once a year, BBQ, a softball team, tickets to Sens games, departmental lunches, a strong United Way campaign, ...there are plenty of opportunities to be involved with something beyond the 9 - 5 workday. The benefits are above average and are comparable to the benefits provided by the federal government. Employees are provided the tools to do the job, which may include education and solid training. There is ample opportunity for advancement and the majority of the supervisors and managers are promoted from within - which brings me to the not so positive side of working there.

Advancement is simple and happens quickly. But being successful in one position does not guarantee success in a more senior role. Supervisors and team leaders are mostly people who moved up from another position - which means you could end up working under someone with absolutely no management skills. Also, many of the senior employees don't have the educational background to support them in the senior role. Surprisingly, this occurs most often in the IT department, where currently, the AVP of IT has never gone to university or college for IT training.

The other big drawback to relying so heavily on promotion from the ranks is the fact that these seniors are given the power to hire/promote the people who work under them. Here's the most important thing to know - there is a very strong network of "cliques" that tend to support each other when it comes to hiring decisions. They make their decisions based on what works best for them and their friends, and not on who is most qualified. If you are not accepted into their clique, your opportunities for advancement are fairly limited, and the work environment can become quite uncomfortable.

I prefaced this review with the admission that my employment was terminated because I realize that some of the things I described as negative could easily be interpreted as "sour grapes", or an attempt at deflecting or denying my responsibility and ownership of the circumstances of my departure. I understand that many people - a significant portion actually - claim to have been terminated for personal, not professional, reasons - but there are people in senior roles @ MD who would be called bullies if this behaviour occurred on a playground instead of a professional office.

Last point - because my experience at MD was a contributing factor in stress induced depression and anxiety, I began seeing a mental health professional - who disclosed a startling fact: she has 5 other clients who worked at MD.

Posted on 4 May 2013 by Rater #4 | Flag as inappropriate