marks work wearhouse

• I worked here when I was 16, and it was a horrible experience. I have to say, they paid me adult minimum wage instead of student, which I appreciated, and for the most part the customer base was friendly and patient. But there was absolutely no training. I was thrown at a cash register during a busy shift, and told to figure it out. When cash was slow, I was told to tidy the sales floor. This would have been perfectly fine by me, if they taught me how to properly fold and organize anything. I figured most of the less-fancy folding out by myself, but to my last day working there, I still couldn't fold the dress shirts. They were complicated and no one had the time or incentive to teach me.

The management was split, in terms of skill and tolerability. The interim manager (real one was on pregnancy leave) was incredibly nice, approachable, and helpful. However my main supervisor was unprofessional and rude. He made us work hours of unpaid overtime... My shift would end at 10, and we'd be working until 1 in the morning with no pay! It wasn't even necessary work. We would have the store cleaned by 10, 10:30 max. Then he would make us sit around and wait for him to be done his duties before we could leave. He was rude and made fun of you, for absolutely no reason. When he wasn't being outright rude, he was flirting with the saleswomen... which they usually didn't want. The schedule seemed to change every day, so I never knew when I was supposed to be working. Because I was in school, and had applied for a part time position, I asked for 15-20 hours a week. They generally gave me 30 hours, and when I finally told the manager I couldn't handle 30 hours a week with school, she gave me 7 hours a week. It seemed like a spiteful punishment. A coworker of mine left for this reason; she worked at a women's shelter for a low salary because she enjoyed it, and thus needed to supplement her income. Apart from treating her horribly and degradingly, they expected her to work far more hours than she could, and reacted spitefully when she asked for less. I asked for 1 day off in my entire job here, and I asked for it a month in advance. They still called me into work on that day.

All in all, it wasn't the worst place to work, but it was pretty horrible. No training, idiotic supervisors with unfair expectations, and to top it off... ugly clothes!

P.S... they iron those famous "no-iron" shirts before displays.

Posted on 3 July 2012 by Rater #9 | Flag as inappropriate