Linamar

Industry: Motor Vehicules (sales, parts, services)

• I've work for Linamar for a total of 8 years. 5 at Skyack as an assembler. And 3 years at Linamar Performance Center. This rating is for my experience at LPC. I was very happy and satisfied at Skyjack and well on my way towards a leadership role. Unfortunately the economic downturn forced the shutdown of a plant and I was laid off. When operations resumed I was called to work at LPC instead. I accepted expecting a similar experience as I had with Skyjack. Was I in for a surprise.

First let me explain my working condition before I left, for health reasons BTW. Please don't take this as a complaint and angst. I am an otherwise very driven / diligent person who's aim is to please and provide good quality work. I believe I forgave too much. When I first started there were 6 machines run by 3 people producing 80 precision parts per shift on 2, 8 hour shifts working weekdays. When I left there were 7 machines run by 1 person expected to produce 50 parts per shift on 2, 10 hour shift working 6 or 7 days a week. You do the math, it didn't add up for me. I was also responsible for the preventative maintenance of the machines, clearing alarms/errors, setups and other duties that were not part of my job description. These took out so much production time and I would be berated for not hitting the targets even though I was literally running between machines to keep impossible uptime numbers. Unsafe due to the constant oil and coolant leaks and also hard on the knees. Envision dancing on bare concrete flailing a 16.8lbs dumbbells in each hand for 3 hours, stopping for 10 minutes then repeating until you're day is done. (Virtually everyday, including holidays for 2.5 years)

When asked about the legality of working in excess of 60 hours a week, my supervisor told me it was ok because he "cleared it". He then coersed me into working the extra days and although I got paid, it took it's tole on my body. Many times I was unable to hold a spoon to feed myself and left that task for my wife. I was also unable to hold my 8 month year old boy for more than 5 minutes at a time. I took 2, 400mg tablet of Ibuprofen daily in order to dull the pain in my arms, back and legs. Wore back braces, double cushioned insoles and 2 tension braces on my arms permanently just to be able to do the work.

Why did I put up with all this for so long? We needed the money and I was not in a position to choose at that time. I also believed that they would put through my transfer back to Skyjack. When I followed up, the general supervisor told me he knew I wanted to go. No amount of words would get any more out of him. The papers never made it to Skyjack.

I'll tell you the problems that are stopping LPC from advancing. It's not human resources, they have plenty of good skilled workers that they don't give the time of day to. One of my cell partners was an electrician with a red ticket. He applied for a maintenance position and was passed over in favour of a manager's son whom had no related experience.

It's because a people in key positions should not be there but dated policies keep them there and there's no way to get rid of them. These people only promote friends and people they can manipulate. Smoke with the the supervisors and you've garanteed an advancement. Too bad I don't smoke. A team lead got his position by sharing money from the lean suggestion program with a supervisor and slipped him a few bottles of wine on holidays. In broad view for all to see so it can not even be contested. Corruption runs rampant at LPC as well.

A new general manager was assigned to change the path of LPC and took over just before I left. He held everybody accountable for their actions and tried to run a tight shift. I overestimated the power of his position though. Not much can save a sinking ship so it's best to get out.

I'm happier now making more money and working for a better company. LPC has left me debilitated and weak even to this day. Learn from my mista

Posted on 10 November 2012 by Rater #22 | Flag as inappropriate

Comments

I also worked at LPC , worst 2 years of my life(I stayed because we just bought a house but i got out asap !!) Worked 7 days a week , rotating, 12-16 hour shifts, walking ,slipping and told to run in coolant.Safety doors not closing on running machines, i could go on but you get the picture. Its all a dream buster and death trap there.

Posted on 24 November 2012