La Vie en Rose

• This is a job where newcomers get bullied by the experienced ones. I was not allowed to touch the cash register, because I was not trained, so I was to be "on the floor" so I can push sales to the maximum.

The quota for each hour of work, regardless of traffic was $100. After not reaching my quota for weeks, I found that strange, so I started mentally calculating the amount for every sale I should have been getting with customers I helped. It turns out that the other girls who were allowed to be on cash and floor was stealing sales to put into their own quotas. Even the assistant manager does this, as she has a quota to reach as well.

My typical shift is on Wednesdays from 4 to 9:30 pm, and I frequently get calls around 3:30 from my manager telling me to come in an hour later, because it wasn't busy. Obviously, I have already left home, and I have to wander around the mall for an extra hour. At first I said okay, but later I would answer my cell while strolling into the shop so they couldn't delay my shift.

The employee discount is quite generous, so I was excited to shop there one afternoon when I wasn't working. I got a rude telling off from my manager for shopping there when it was busy. Apparently, I am only supposed to shop there early in the morning or late at night, when there are less customers. It's not as if I were bothering other customers while I shopped; in fact, the manager would tell my co-workers "don't help her, she already works here, and you don't get the sale added to your quota". She purposely does this to alienate and guilt employees for using their discount.

This was my first job ever, and I was grateful just for getting hired. If I had known better, I would have quit by the end of the first month, instead of the 10 I was there for.

Posted on 14 May 2014 by Rater #19 | Flag as inappropriate