Best rated employers in this industry

1. Groupe Stavibel
  2. Golder Associates Ltd.
  3. BRP
  4. GENIVAR
  5. BPR

Kiewit

Industry: Architectural, Engineering & Related Services

• I worked for Kiewit for two years as a field engineer right out of university (Engineering). The offer letter said some days may require long work hour up to 11 hours due to the nature of the construction industry. Then work begins and the reality is that 11hr days are the minimum every single day, plus Saturdays. I was asked by the project manager to come in on a Sunday, I declined. Canadian labor laws do not apply to managers or engineers, Kiewit knows this and they exploit it as much as they can. No additional compensation was offered for any of this. I approached a manager with these concerns and was laughed at. Overtime compensation is a running joke among the employees. Management style is to use bullying and fear of losing your job to motivate you to work more. Annual meetings and corporate vision is so over the top that it borders on delusional. Almost walked out of the annual meeting when the HR manager said from the podium that Kiewit was the world’s best social program by way of giving many people jobs that would otherwise not have those jobs. If you work here for 4 years and kiss enough ass and sacrifice any hope of having a life outside of work, and you get invited to, you can buy company stocks. The golden carrot that they dangle in front everyone. Golden handcuffs is what it is because you can not sell your stocks until you retire or quit. I could go on for hours. Anything good? Yes, the level of responsibility was high and it was good construction experience, great RRSP matching program. The managers were good people but it is a shame they must conform to the culture of the company and pass the stress and fear down the ladder. They want to work everyone like slaves and once you are burned out after a few years you quit or they lay you off and get someone else. This is because all stock holders personally benefit from you being overworked. It’s a pretty smart system from the viewpoint of the owners who are concerned with only money, also sickening. Over all, this was the worst company I have ever worked for. My last day there will remain one of my fondest memories, like a giant weight was lifted off my chest.

Posted on 19 October 2012 by Rater #11 | Flag as inappropriate