ISM Canada

Industry: Call Centers, Customer Service

• ISM Workforce Adjustment Phase II - BCGEU raises concerns about contracting out and some layoffs are rescinded
    All BCGEU members working for ISM Canada
    Re: ISM Workforce Adjustment Phase II Update: The union raises concerns about positions deemed redundant, being sub-contracted out
    Following the April 7, 2014 Joint Union Management (JUM) meeting where the employer announced phase II of their workforce adjustment plan, there was a Joint Placement Steering Committee (JPSC) meeting pursuant to Article 13 on April 8, 2014. At this meeting, the union advised the employer that we had evidence of positions the employer identified as redundant (surplus) in both phases I and II of workforce adjustment being sub-contracted out in remote areas.
    The union advised the employer that the union takes this kind of attack on our members' job security very seriously and we put the employer on notice that we will take formal action regarding any violation of the collective agreement regarding contracting out if the matter is not quickly resolved. The employer requested a meeting to discuss this issue and work toward a resolution. This meeting occurred on April 11, 2014.
    As a result of the union confronting the employer on the sub-contracting out issue, the employer agreed to rescind all redundancy and layoff letters to those Deskside Technicians impacted in workforce adjustment actions in March (phase I) and last week (phase II) who work in remote locations.
    A total of 11 BCGEU members will get their positions back as a result of the union's actions. The employer did advise that they plan to transition these employees from the Deskside Technician position to the Client Support Technician position in the near future to expand their role and increase flexibility to assign them to other work if their Deskside Technician workload is low. This would allow them to continue to do Deskside Technician work and receive the same pay rate.

The union is continuing to investigate this matter to ensure that there are no further examples of sub-contracting out where our members are advised their positions are redundant. If you have any information on this, please contact your BCGEU steward.

Posted on 16 April 2014 by Rater #36 | Flag as inappropriate

Comments

If they are laying so many people off, why have they been advertising so many new jobs in BC lately? Did they renew a contract?

Posted on 26 September 2014

At this point, most staff have given up any faith in the company. The “Frank Talk” program seems to have fallen into a well never to be seen again. The team leads although more professional then in the past are beginning to fall back into old habits that in some cases have lead to complaints. It seems head office really is not willing to do much accept hand slap on a token basis. Most staff except for those in charge are just biding their time until the company loses the contract. Just the fact that people are thinking this way is serious in itself and the company is well aware. No one is really sure what ISM is thinking at the moment. All people can really say for certain is service is getting worse day by day, there is no trust in the company by staff and finally there is a serious lack of intelligent leadership on all levels. Those in charge seem to be trying to save their own careers rather than focus on their actual job. If ISM loses this contract do you really think those who were in charge right down to the team lead level will be safe for long?

Posted on 17 May 2014

How low can a company get to do the things they are trying to do and pull the wool over the union's and members heads??!!!
Once they get caught they retract until they can come up with another plan to layoff employees again!
Hmmmm.....I wonder who the manager is for Deskside right now that's behind this fiasco of trying layoff employees. Must be that same manager that was in Service desk who screwed service desk aux over and laid off a bunch there. Every dept this manager has gone to there has been layoffs.
Really unethical!