ISM Canada

Industry: Call Centers, Customer Service

• ISM Workforce Adjustment Phase II
    The employer called an emergency Joint Union-Management meeting for 9:00 am on Monday, April 7, 2012. Union representatives were not advised of the meeting until the morning of the meeting and consequently only two of the four union representatives were notified in time to attend. The union raised concerns about the lack of notice.
    The employer announced that they are in Phase II of their Workforce Adjustment and they have found 22 redundant positions currently filled by regular employees - all BCGEU members. This is one month after Phase I where they found 14 regular desk side technician positions redundant which resulted in those 14 employees moving to service desk positions and the layoff of 12 service desk auxiliary employees – also all BCGEU members.
    The union raised concerns about the employer's lack of communication to our members about their plans to implement workforce adjustment last month, when they first initiated it, and again at the March 26, 2014 Joint Union-Management meeting. The employer committed to send out additional communication with more detailed information regarding how workforce adjustment will impact our members as per the union's request. The communication sent out by the employer April 8, 2014 does not provide detailed information and its timing (it should have come out earlier) does not meet with the spirit of the commitment the employer made to the union at the Joint Union-Management meeting.
    The employer advised that as there are only a few vacancies, and they are in the PR 21 classification and that all redundant positions in Phase II of Workforce Adjustment are in PR 7, PR 9 and PR 18 classifications, these vacancies will not be relevant to the Article 13 process. The union requested a formal list of all vacancies.
    The union also raised the issue of conversions at the March 26, 2014 Joint Union-Management meeting. There are a large number of auxiliary employees who met the criteria for conversion some time ago and the employer was not converting them in violation of the collective agreement. The employer agreed to review this issue and get back to the union. In the April 7, 2014 Joint Union-Management meeting the employer reported that as a result of the union's request, they are converting 17 auxiliaries to regular status retroactive to the first of the month after they achieved 1957.5 hours in 33 pay periods. The employer further informed us that 15 of these 17 auxiliaries will be notified of their conversion and then be notified that they will be impacted by the workforce adjustment.
    The union has been advocating for our members through the joint placement steering committee and continues to ensure that our members’ rights are protected and maintained through this process. We will continue to report out on developments.

Posted on 13 April 2014 by Rater #35 | Flag as inappropriate

Comments

I like how ISM got busted for not making their auxs regular employees by the union. So they are now making them regular employees but are going to lay them off now.
Frickin amazing. What a company.

Posted on 14 April 2014

I'd hate to be this guy but...

"I told you so"

Posted on 14 April 2014

It sounds like all the promises ISM has made about addressing issues and wanting a happy workplace is just a bunch of smoke. Staff are being layed off from an already understaffed service desk. How they will make green each month will be a mystery and might warrant a bit of investigation. Frank Talk seems to have gone into a black hole. Yes, the team leads and supervisors are acting nicer but that seems to be creeping out the staff more than anything. Those that have been there a while know acting when they see it. Over the next few weeks/months watch everything go back to normal and the “nice” replaced by something all together less friendly. In one way or another ISM is getting rid of all opposition. ISM has yet again proven with inaction that they do not care. All the talk of investigation and really looking at who has damaged this account has turned out to be hot air. Do any of the staff including the team leads and supervisors trust head office? The answer seems clear and I am sure the resumes are already floating around the internet.

Posted on 13 April 2014

Wait! they are not done yet. Just wait for Phase 3, 4 and finally Phase 5 where the only ones left in this company is J & R. Most people will know these 2 they are the 2 upper management guys who in my opinion are the masterminds of ISM's dirty handed tricks.

Posted on 13 April 2014