ISM Canada

Industry: Call Centers, Customer Service

• ISM Workforce Adjustment - Joint Placement Steering Committee Update
    At the March 4 joint union-management meeting with ISM Canada, the employer announced the displacement of 14 regular deskside technician employees and the layoff of 12 service desk auxiliary employees – all BCGEU members.
    All impacted regular employees are being offered service desk agent positions in their geographic location with the same rate of pay, but the union acknowledges this is a very different position and that the deskside technicians will consequently lose their career path.
    The union requested a voluntary departure plan but the employer said because they have lateral transfer options for every impacted regular employee that they would not be offering a voluntary departure plan.
    BCGEU also raised concerns about the lack of time for members to act on this news, indicating that the timing issue was inconsiderate to both employees and their families. With only one day between the announcement and suitability interviews (to determine if each displaced employee is suitable for the service desk position), members did not have an adequate amount of time to deal with the news.
    Despite the union calling on the employer to extend the timeframe, the employer would not grant more time. As a result, members are faced with managing last minute changes that will significantly impact their lives; in addition to not having an acceptable amount of time to thoroughly examine their rights under the collective agreement.
    The union has been advocating for our members through the joint placement steering committee and continues to ensure that our members’ rights are protected and maintained through this process. We will continue to report out on developments.
    In solidarity
    Walter Keriluk (Local 601) and Lori Strom (Staff Representative) BCGEU members of Joint Placement Steering Committee

Posted on 17 March 2014 by Rater #32 | Flag as inappropriate

Comments

And it starts.

Posted on 19 March 2014