Indigo

• I worked at Chapters in Nova Scotia for a little over 2 years. When I began I loved the job. I felt appreciated and proud to work there. However, the policies and practices changed drastically since I began. The management was awful. They breathe down your neck to increase sales, member sign ups, charity inquisitions, etc. I always felt agitated and on edge working with certain managers because I knew that they will take any opportunity they get to lecture in a surprisingly passive-aggressive way. Our store was full of employees who had been reduced to tears from the way things are handled. There is an excessive amount of responsibility for a minimum wage job, and tasks that are not in the job description are forced on you.
    The other issue is the fact that living by the companies standards and having to include yourself in new practices that are implemented every month, it seems, is humiliating and degrading. Corny and dated terminology that we were forced to use (“cash” is now the “payment experience?” Are you kidding me?) just made me so embarrassed to talk about my job.
    I finally quit when I was accused of pulling down the metrics for the day as my agoraphobia was making me uneasy around customers. It was the final derogatory nail in the coffin for a job I dreaded coming to for a year.
    Finally, I will add that they have no respect for their employees safety. I’ve come to work in blizzards and hurricanes. When the rest of the business park around us closed, and the buses were pulled off the road, our manager insisted we stay and “tidy in the dark” as the power had gone out. She then left for the day and we were left in a store with no customers and no reason to be open.
    Don’t bother working here. This job did not involve books, it involved stress and needless amounts of subtle criticism that ate away at my self confidence until I barely had any left.

Posted on 10 March 2019 by Rater #24 | Flag as inappropriate