Best rated employers in this industry

1. wordans.com
  2. Swimco
  3. Cintas
  4. L'Oréal
  5. Aldo Group

Groupe Aldo

Industry: Textile, Clothing, Leather, Lux, Cosmetic

• I worked here as an Assistant Store Manager, they downgraded most ASMs to Full-Time Sales Leads recently in order to save money.

Operations-wise, this company is actually fairly organized in terms of visual merchandising, communications, operations, and leadership (at store level).

Full-timers get most the hours, if you're lucky you will have a good store manager like I had myself. Training is fairly simple if you've worked in retail before. They have guides and steps to ensure you feel prepared to take on the job.

The only setback is that there are not many opportunities for advancement if you are one of the remote location stores, nor do they offer many wage advancements or even recognition for a job well-done or at least for giving your best effort.

Sometimes budget goals are unrealistic and DSMs can really push you to make unrealistic amounts of money which can sometimes leave you feeling like a disappointment to the company. You've got to have a strong emotional backbone to work in retail management here.

Lots of 'grunt' work as there were only a few full-time positions meaning most of the workload was divided onto (in my case) two people. It gives you a chance to really get a well-rounded experience of how a store functions from every perspective but can exhaust you.

Part-timers can expect low hours but a rewarding feeling working here if they are placed with the proper management team/upper management team. Training is very hands-on and trainers (usually an MIT, Lead, ASM or the SM) are always very patient and take time to ensure you know what you are doing. Also, you must be very comfortable with upselling and adding on items to sales to increase IPT/UPT to hit the stores' generally achievable targets. This is my personal experience.

My rating is as honest as possible and comes from someone with no anger towards to the company as they have treated me well, or as well as you can be treated working in retail. The store-level management employees are pushed and stressed to the max due to DSM goals while DSMs have no clue how each store works differently as each local economy is completely different. They believe it to be universal and use a universal approach to achieve budget as well as KPI goals. DSMs should be required to work a certain amount of days in each of their stores to see just how the economy effects a stores capability of reaching targets consistently and improving upon them yearly.

Overall, if you are willing to work hard and can handle pressure from upper management to upsell, sell shoe care, etc. then I'd say this is the place for you. If you are lower energy, not very outgoing and quiet - this job is probably not the best option for you as you need to be able to greet your customers, open a dialogue, lead the sale from beginning to end as well as finish it all of by deepening the brand by informing the customer about the Company's social responsibility.

Posted on 14 June 2017 by Rater #71 | Flag as inappropriate

Comments

"They believe it to be universal and use a universal approach to achieve budget as well as KPI goals."

How does someone get to be a DSM at Aldo but not be aware that a universal approach to everything is NOT appropriate? What else are they ignorant of???

Posted on 15 June 2017