GRC / Gendarmerie Royale du Canada

Industry: Government and Public Administration

• Three years service as a female Constable working General Duty in Saskatchewan, love my job, proud to wear the tunic. Am happy with the pay, benefits and pension. Though currently the benefits are being re-negotiated, so we'll see what comes of that. There seems to be an endless amount of paperwork/computerwork. I usually work alone, though that will depend on where you're posted. I work what I feel is way too much overtime/on-call (both voluntary un-paid and paid) because we're understaffed in Saskatchewan, as many posts are. It's a 24/7/365 job, which can add to the already high-stress work. The community you work in as a general duty officer is always watching, and you may have people knocking at your house at all hours regardless of whether you are on or off duty. Often feels as if you're living in a bubble, because you know that as you are watching people, people are watching you (both the general public and organized crime members-- they will know where you live, what you drive, and who your family members are for starters). Depending on your personality, that can be very stressful for some people. Your co-workers will become your best-friends, because you see them more often than your family, and you need to learn to trust each other with your lives. Many officers live in remote communities, if you sign up saying you're willing to move anywhere, you need to truly understand what that might entail. I would encourage you to look up both Tuktoyaktuk, NWT, and Surrey, BC. If you feel you could live in either for a few years after training, you're well on your way. You'll be spit on, punched, kicked, sworn at, your character will be challenged, and lied to on a daily/weekly basis in even the nicest/police friendly communities. You'll also be thanked unexpectedly, hugged, be a shoulder to cry on to strangers, called out to by your first name from children on the playground as you patrol and you will console people at the lowest points of their lives. Nobody will call you when their day is going well. It can be a thankless job, but the good days make everything worth it. Proud to be a Mountie.

Posted on 26 May 2012 by Rater #11 | Flag as inappropriate

Comments

Wait till your told to suck it sweety

Posted on 11 October 2013