Elemental Data Collection Inc.

Industry: Call Centers, Customer Service

• I will probably receive a lot of heat from people for doing this, but I believe that after reading every (literally every) comment and post on this page, I should put in my two cents so that people who read the posts on this site aren't just bombarded with negativity.

First off, the job is NOT difficult. You literally have to sit in front of a screen and read what you see there. Convincing people to talk to you is not always easy, but it IS absolutely doable. You are given a target rate at the beginning of your shift, which tells you the minimum number of completed surveys you are expected to get in an hour. Some people have been saying that these are arbitrary rates; they are not. They are based on rates that we need to submit to the clients when we compete with other companies to get a contract for a study. Does it get harder towards the end of the study period? Absolutely. But if you struggle, all you need to do is ask for help. I have never had a negative experience asking for guidance, and I have worked there for over a year.

There are quality evaluations, where you are graded on your adherence to basic quality expectations. Are you reading word for word? Are you following instructions? (And so on). The reason for these evaluations is that poor quality surveys cannot be used by our clients. Market research is INCREDIBLY competitive, and we would lose oodles of business if we can't use a bunch of data.

Breaks are short, yes. 15 minutes is not a whole lot of time. But seeing as they aren't required to give a break for shifts that are less than five hours, I'll take it. Signing out for bathroom breaks is demeaning, yes. Especially if you're like me and have a bladder the size of a teaspoon. It wouldn't be necessary if people weren't using bathroom breaks to make calls or text.

I was recently promoted to the position of monitor, and contrary to what some other posters have been saying, it was not because they promote people that have been there the longest. My promotion to monitor was my second promotion in a year, and I got my first one after two months. Advancement (and raises) are absolutely possible, provided you have a good attitude towards your work, you accept and incorporate feedback, and you actually WANT to succeed. Turnover is high, mainly because students are targeted as employees (hello, uOttawa is RIGHT there), and students tend to be a more transient, and sadly unreliable, population. Note that I said accept AND INCORPORATE feedback...there is nothing more irritating than trying to help someone and have the completely ignore you...I didn't get this job where I can give you feedback for nothing. This is why monitors and supervisors occasionally get frustrated, we're only human.

Another issue that people were having was the perception that interviewers are only getting negative feedback. While it does happen, they're trying to shift the focus to positive reinforcement and feedback, and one of the reasons I was hired as a monitor is my background in coaching. I personally try to encourage as much as possible, and I frequently hand out little "Good job!" notes to interviewers.

I got a little rambly, but I hope that this might help encourage people who have just started or who are considering EDCI. The company isn't perfect, but none are. I don't see it as being the hell on earth it's being portrayed to be.

Posted on 16 February 2015 by Rater #97 | Flag as inappropriate

Comments

I know who wrote this lol

Posted on 6 March 2015