Elemental Data Collection Inc.

Industry: Call Centers, Customer Service

• I had a panic attack working here, after which I found my hours mysteriously reduced to levels at which I could not pay my bills. I no longer work there, and I feel that this was worth mentioning.

Having left this company, I feel as though they did not respect me as a functional part of the organization, despite having a productivity score of higher than 1. I can't in good faith recommend working here to anyone. Now, I would like to list several problems I have with the company.

-Training is extremely short, and is at best a cursory overview of the duties that you will be expected to perform to perfection from day two. The training focuses on how to beg people to complete your survey ("I'm having a really hard time reaching people today." "This is the last one I need in order to go home.") rather than how to use the program you'll be using or how to live up to the quality standards they expect. Literal perfection and robotic verbatim accuracy is expected when reading every (poorly worded) question of the surveys.

-You will be given two free monitoring sessions. They usually monitor you about once a week; my freebies were used up within the first week - when I barely knew what I was doing. The system they use is a checklist of many different aspects of your performance. No personal comments, verbatim reading of questions, etc. There are about 10 criteria. You can be given a 0, 1, or 2 on each, and if the average of all of them is not 1 or higher, you fail. In my many months there, I haven't heard of anyone getting a 2 on anything. Therefore, perfection is expected of you every time.

-When you fail your first monitoring, they have to tell you what you did wrong. Normal stuff. However, the first time I failed, the monitor failed me because of something that was not mentioned in training, and I had no idea I was supposed to do. She insisted that I was told; I insisted that I wasn't. I failed.

-The attitude of the monitors when monitoring you is only sometimes constructive. One in particular was very pleasant with me, and I feel as though he really cared about my improvement. I had another experience with a monitor, and she was completely abrasive. This leaves you with a bad taste in your mouth and does not motivate you to improve.

-The supervisors are utterly unhelpful. Their job is sometimes to walk around behind everyone and look at how many completes show up on the interviewers' screens. If the rates aren't great, they say things like "Be sure you're doing refusal conversions on every call," or "Try to pick your rate up," or "we need you to get x more by the end of the shift." This makes you feel like you're being whipped to meet the rates. They are also barely older and more experienced than the interviewers, and come off as unprofessional.

-I understand that supervisors are also stressed when deadlines are tight. They will separate interviewers from one another if they talk. I have had my posture physically corrected by one of the people in HR, and been warned that the higher-ups are always watching from the cameras.

-You WILL be asked to stay extra hours, and you WILL be questioned and made to feel guilty if you decline.

-Schedules are only somewhat flexible. You have to submit a master availability form when you join. If you request a schedule with a day off, they can schedule for that day anyway if it's on your master availability, and you will be expected to show up. You can cancel your shift, but if you do that more than once in 30 days, you will get a demerit.

-HR can call you in for any shift on your master availability mere hours before it starts, but requires 24-hour notice for cancellation.

-Time you spend in the bathroom is deducted from your pay.

-The equipment does not work properly in a significant number of the booths. This affects how people hear you, and therefore your rate.

-Breaks are a single 15-minute paid or 30-minute unpaid. This does not change, regardless of shift length.

Don't apply.

Posted on 12 March 2014 by Rater #79 | Flag as inappropriate

Comments

"From your comments seems like only a sociopath can work at this place because a normal human being would be docile in a work environment."

If that is truly what you think, you will be a wage slave for the rest of your life. Doing well in the workforce requires being aggressive about promoting your own interests. Nobody is looking out for you but you. Docility gets you nowhere but stuck complaining on ratemyemployer about how unfair life is. Enjoy infinite servitude.

Posted on 15 June 2014

Great review! Sums it up pretty nicely!

Posted on 5 May 2014

''It's an extremely fair place to work.'' Bahahaha! Nice try buddy, but there is absolutely NOTHING positive about that dump of a job.

By far the worst place I've ever worked. Thank god you aren't on an upper floor if not people would jump out the videos.
This place is miserable to work at and I hope absolute business failure to them.

I would honestly rather be in jail than work that that horrible place.

Posted on 21 March 2014

Posted on 18 March 2014

This is a remarkably misleading review, so here are some clarifications.

You are absolutely right that quality control is extremely strict. If you do not feel you can follow instructions, I agree -- don't apply.

You thought the male monitor was constructive and the female was abrasive. If you read further on this message board, another interviewer felt the exact opposite from you. It is completely subjective, like any other job, and boils down to some people getting along and some people not.

The supervisors are as helpful or unhelpful as you make them. If you're nice to them and show an interest in improving, like going up to the desk when you have a question rather than sitting there like an idiot, they'll warm up to you. If you don't take initiative, they won't even know who you are. That is how modern workplaces work, especially those with 60+ employees on in a shift.

Regarding extra hours, literally all you have to do is say "no". If they question you, you repeat "no". They can't and won't punish you. In fact, they'll learn that you won't be pushed around, and will stop pushing you around. It comes down to personality. If you're a pushover, you'll get pushed around by HR. If you're confident, you won't.

I have never heard of a situation where HR called in a person based on master availability "mere hours" before the shift. If you fear this, just don't pick up your phone -- problem solved.

The time you spend in the bathroom is only deducted from your pay if you spend an inordinate time in the bathroom (15+ minutes in a 5 hour shift).

The equipment doesn't function in some booths, true.

Breaks aren't 15 paid or 30 unpaid regardless of shift length. 15 paid for < 5 hour shift. Anything over 7 hours you're getting more than the standard breaks. But that's something you'd have to ask HR to know. Which brings me to my next point...

This isn't the place to work if you're a passive person. They will take advantage of your docility. You need to take initiative and figure out how to navigate the workplace. If you can figure that out, it's an extremely fair place to work.

Most people can't, hence the turnover rate.

Posted on 16 March 2014