EARLS

Industry: Accommodation, Food Services

• Earls Barlow Trail is an embarrassment. (Calgary, AB)
    During the interview I was asked; what is your favorite music? Do you read? What night club in downtown Calgary do you like? ... GREAT SELECTION TOOLS.
    1) You tell your candidates they are hired; give them a menu and ask them to study and familiarize themselves with the items and ingredients used.
    -You tell your candidates that they will receive a week of training that will help them remember the menu and the drinks.
    - During your training you must come to work dressed in attire (which Earls has a specific look their employees must follow). Candidates waste money buying work shoes, dresses, shirts etc.
    2) During training candidates are tested on the menu. If you are not PERFECT with the ingredients/sides/sauces you will not make the first cut. This is NOT explained properly by hiring manager. "Become familiar with the menu" does not mean memorize everything as you WILL be tested. Training is learning.
    How do you justify rating someone who was interviewed the day before training opposed to someone who had a week to read through the menu? .. As a high status restaurant do you think it is right to tell your candidates to BUY outfits for work when they are not hired yet? The WORST recruitment/ selections tools I have ever seen. This franchise should be embarrassed by the way they run their business, it is disgusting.
    After seeing/experiencing this I will never visit another earl again, and don't worry - I have spread the word.

Posted on 7 April 2012 by Rater #3 | Flag as inappropriate

Comments

This happens more than it should. I worked at earls for 4 years and the company as a whole has no understanding of how to treat a human being.

Posted on 25 July 2012