costless express

Size of company: Small (1 - 49 employees)

Industry: Other Consumer Goods & Services

• I am disappointed in my short experience with Costless Express. They have a great culture and a great sales team with a customer offer that is superior to their competition.
    I engaged with the owner and current sales manager in two formal conversations and signed an employment agreement to be hired on as the sales manager, coaching and growing the existing team which I was so excited to do.
    On day one I was told that all of this was "on the back burner" and that I was to sit in a dark, make shift desk in the corner and magically attract X amount of business. By day 8, in a follow-up meeting, the owner asked me how many orders I had done (at this point I don't know how to place an order), and how many dollars I had "brought in" (not the job or position I applied for), and asked me what my road blocks were in getting business.
    I said, "thanks, but no thanks".
    If you are considering Costless Express be warned - the conversations you have had about the position and the legal written agreement you will be asked to sign mean nothing.
    When you arrive for your first day of work - all of that will be out the window.
    I don't appreciate being lied to and having my time wasted.

Posted on 8 August 2011 by Rater #2 | Flag as inappropriate

Comments

I have to pull back on my initial comments.

Although I feel my position was miss-represented, I certainly was not lied to.

I am so impressed with the team and wanted SO BADLY to engage with them in the manner I originally spoke about in my interviews that I was taken back to learn that this was no longer the plan.

I let my dissappointment, frustration and anger get the better of me and I apologize to the company for my earlier words.

Posted on 9 August 2011

It seems to me the whole office solutions industry is tanking. My recommendation - go with Staples, they seem to be kicking everyone's asses these days

Posted on 9 August 2011

I haven't worked at Costless Express for very long, but I feel confident in saying it is the best job I have ever had. I was opened with welcoming arms, just as you were on your first day. I know a lot of work went into that "dark desk" of yours in anticipation of making you feel welcomed. I'm sorry you felt it was wasn't up to your standards. Here at Costless Express we always try to do our best, for our customers and our fellow co-workers but sometimes our best just isn't good enough for some people. Good luck in your future endeavours.

Posted on 9 August 2011

I found the posting regarding the layoffs not only immature (coming from a "leader" figure), but insulting. As the CEO, you are supposed to set an example, and it is Employment 101 that you don't defame the competition; in the end, it only makes the source look bad. I now have no respect for the CEO or the company for employing such a leader. I didn't find the topic as light and funny as he seemed to address it... "Buh-Bye...", "good news..."; no compassion for those that actually lost their jobs and assuming they provided poor service to their customers to begin with? I hope no past GT employee even considers working for this company after reading the post I refer to.

Posted on 9 August 2011

Despite what is being said above, and not taking sides... the reason I would never work for Costless is due to the CEO's blog post regarding the layoffs at Grand

Posted on 9 August 2011

I have been at Costless Express for almost 3 years now. I came here to help out for a few weeks to "help out" and was liked so much they created a position for me. I was welcomed the very first day and still feel welcomed every morning I come to work. The above desk mentioned was one I worked at for a few months and found it served my needs. Had a phone, a computer and drawers to hold paper work, stapler, tape dispenser....Over the time I have worked here I have had different titles and part of that is because they cared enough about me and believed in me even when I didn't believe in myself. Sorry you feel that your experience here was not a good one.

Posted on 9 August 2011

I have worked at Costless for 20 years and Loooove it.
Sorry to hear the position didnt work out.
ps, the desk is not so bad - super close to the pop/beer fridge :-)

Posted on 9 August 2011

Sorry to hear your time with us was a waste.
We were excited to see you succeed and the sales plan you created and presented in the first few days with us showed significant growth on how you could win business from past relationships - this was the reason we all agreed to fit you into our company budget wise. On two different occasions you sold us on the 10 million in business per year you managed and how you could rattle off 100 top customers to start with and that you had no Non Compete with your past employer and you could solicit past customers asap. We all agreed this was a great opportunity.

We were all in agreement to allow 30-90 days to implement your plan before setting you on course to manage a team. During that time you did see we were making movement even after 8 days to adjust job duties internally so there was a place in the future for you to grow a team.

The meeting you refer to after 8 days was scheduled by you to show progress on your sales plan - 20 calls, 4 meetings in person - 1/2 wins per day. As of day 8 there were no sales and you concluded "this is not for me" and quit. We were somewhat surprised at the results and reaction but felt best to allow you to try other roads since there was not a fit. We all came into the situation with eyes open but in a bit of a rush due to your unique circumstances. We thought we conclusion of the relationship was on good terms with a hand shake and "best of luck, you are a class act".

The story needs to be made clear that we were not advertising or looking to hire. Due to your circumstances on short notice, we thought there was a win-win and we moved mountains, changed budgets, Set up computers, purchased a new desk phone, programed an iPHONE, set up email, user profiles, altered peoples job descriptions and sales territories to make a position available. We appologize if you felt for your first few days your desk was not to your standards but on short notice and the fact we were at capacity in our offices and your position was an outside position, the desk seemed appropriate short term.

What saddens us most is your posting here on a site such as this when just yesterday we all left on great terms - or so we thought from our side. In our company we stress to not leave a meeting with "unsaid conversations". It seems there is more you are feeling than you presented during yesterdays meeting. If you would like to clear the air more we are open to sitting with you 1:1 instead of airing dirty laundry in such a fashion.

To us your comments seem to come from emotion and not fact. I'm sure you'll agree your comments may be your experience and how you felt personally, but to say and even warn that all people who deal with our company will be treated in the manner you have written is considered more of a personal attack than fact. We feel people who read this will see your emotion has tained your judgement but having named our company in such a defamatory way could result in legal action.

This we take this part very seriously.

Regards,