• Most of the lower stars (the problems) I associate with the Union and its seniority rules policy. Some departments have mid-range managers who will block job advancements if they feel a person is needed more in their current position. Flex days off can sometimes be blocked if management want employees around. Some departments can get petty and jealous of other departments. Again, managers emerge from seniority rather than ability, so you get sometimes second-rate managers.

That all said, my department is the best job I have ever had. I really like my fellow co-workers and supervisor allot (this department had lost many employees last year and had to rebuild outside of the union). I just wish the City would offer a salary, salary advancement, and hours more similar to the other big cities. I feel that would cement employee loyal better. I know I've talk mostly about the negatives but this really is the best job and best co-workers I have ever worked with, and the money is OK... it just could be better (like it is in other cities).

Posted on 5 March 2011 by Rater #1 | Flag as inappropriate