CGI

Industry: IT: Services

• I am a member of CGI and I agree that as a company we have our challenges. But one thing I don't understand about some of these comments is they are not being made to the people who can actually do something about it - the managers.
    Someone on here said that HR runs everything. That is not true. I have worked with several different HR representatives and their motives are to guide, advise and advocate for our members.
    I also work with many managers, and while some are stronger than others, I HEAR and SEE them working on behalf of their members to make our working conditions as pleasant as possible.
    One thing I would say to anyone working at CGI who is not happy is to figure out exactly what is not working, and to talk to your manager or team lead about it. I have been in meetings where questions are asked, and no one says anything! Why? If you won't speak up when the time is right, then coming on a site like this and venting makes you no more than a coward. RateMyEmployer is not going to do anything for you - only you can do that.

Posted on 28 November 2008 by Rater #162 | Flag as inappropriate

Comments

I agree that anyone who is not satisfied should first talk to his/her managers. However, as a member of CGI myself, talking to my manager about certain issues too often proved to be a dead end. And believe me, my manager is a good well-intentioned person. The problem is, CGI policies are strict and non-negotiable, and are issued from Montreal. Even if you demonstrate that the policy DOES NOT make sense, and that you have a BETTER idea that will cost CGI actually LESS, your manager can only nod in despair. He can agree with you, but nothing will change because that's the CGI way. To me, this culture of walls and boundaries is the core problem at CGI, plus the fact that people with questionable talent are promoted after "x" number of years. I've been total bozos becoming VP even though they were nice people but clearly above their normal level in the organization.

Posted on 29 November 2008

I have also seen racial tendencies towards some minorities at CGI.
Some arabs are not treated well in the helpdesk,

Posted on 28 November 2008

I worked at CGI helpdesk in downtown Montreal, and I noticed, that they treated some Arabs/Muslims unfairly, I never said anything in fear of losing my job, but I wish I had.
Not professional at all the managers of the helpdesk at cgi.

Posted on 28 November 2008