CFCP / Chemin de fer Canadien Pacifique

Industry: Transportation (freight), Warehousing

• I used to be a 110% guy. I was working towards a position in the running trades to an advanced position that would really let me make a difference. Unfortunately, a new manager cut me out because I wasn't one of his "buddies" even though I had an exemplary record with many excellent reviews.

Now I'm in the running trades. I've been blacklisted from all management positions that I am qualified for because I dared to complain about how I was treated. I tried applying for new positions, but there was always an excuse for not even calling me for an interview even though I was more qualified than the people who eventually got the promotion.

I work on the trains and do my job to the best of my ability. I do it safely and efficiently but will not go out of my way to go above and beyond. There is no reason to do so.

This company pays great lip service to giving everyone the opportunity to advance and to treating everyone equal, but when it comes right down to it, it's all about who you know and how well you can suck up. Ability has absolutely nothing to do with advancement. There is no longer any recognition for exceptional effort. There is only a pile of sh*t waiting if you do anything wrong.

I'm too old to change jobs now, but too young to pull my pension, so I have to weather out the last few years of what started out as a great career. Anyone who comes to this organization hoping to advance beyond entry level had better know someone high up the food chain or be very good at sucking up.

As to management, I can comment because I have seen it. It is basically every man for himself. If an opportunity arises to save money, it is taken no matter what the consequences down the road. This allows the manager to claim a victory in the hope that he won't have to deal with the aftermath. There is little or no teamwork between departments. The old saying "the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing" was invented at CP.

Example: train crew ordered to pick up an empty rail car in a storage track and set off an empty car from the train in the same storage track. Both orders came from different areas. Both cars were identical in type and even series number (2 digit difference). Train crew suggests not stopping at all and keeping the one car on the train. They are told that they don't see the "big picture" and that they have to exchange the two identical cars. Problems with the train arose after the stop that would not have occurred if they kept moving - results were that 4 trains delayed for over 2 hours including 2 high-priority trains.

This is how the company works. No rhyme or reason to many decisions and absolutely no flexibility in directions.

Stress levels for management are in the stratosphere. Everyone is afraid for their jobs. This translates to a poor relationship between high and mid managers, mid to field managers and field managers to unionized and non-union employees.

Sure, the company stock price has gone up gangbusters, but does that make it a good place to work? I don't think so. Unless you have an "in" (which should not exist as per company policy, but they still do) that will get you into higher management, I wouldn't bother with this company.

If I had it to do over, knowing what I do now, I would have stayed in university and started a career as far away from this company as I could.

Posted on 24 April 2013 by Rater #194 | Flag as inappropriate

Comments

It's cause CP would rather take the time to make an honest review look bad instead of addressing the real issues of improving morale and working conditions.

Posted on 18 June 2013

I posted this comment 5 minutes ago. How does it get almost 600 negatives in that time?? Something is fishy here...

Posted on 24 April 2013