Canyon Technical Services

Industry: Energy

• First off, I am NOT in management with Canyon. I have worked my way up through the ranks from starting on an N2 bulker 8 years ago to where I am now with the company. I am in the office and have a very good overview on what happens here. I came from out of province and didn't know anyone here to begin with. i have read all the comments pertaining to Canyon and can comment on almost all of them. My previous employer was twice the work for a little more than half the pay, AND I was happy to do it. If i wasn't there was more than a few people that would've. For starters, you have to fit in. Also you have to get up in the morning and show up for work(yes it has to be said. When I was told this during orientation I laughed because I thought I was on candit camera). I have been out of the field for more than 3 years but when i was there was nobody allowed around pumps or high pressure lines. I was a crew cabber and I did keep workers away the best I could. other than that it has grown incredibly fast. We have seen a large turn around but you have to remember there are always 2 sides to every story. It is what you make of it. there is no shortage of jobs here in Alberta and the downside being that we are dealing with the shallow end of the gene pool when it comes to some workers. Canyon is mostly solid people that care and work hard but there is the percentage that should be fired and their parents slapped for not raising their kids properly. I can guarantee that a good percentage of these same people wouldn't last a day for some of the employers that I have worked for. There are lots of choices when it comes to jobs in this provence so things will not change for the better soon. Another recession like what happened in 2009 would definately cull the heard. I definitely don't want to see that again by no means. That being said there was really good deals on Kijiji for those of us that kept our jobs.

Posted on 3 October 2014 by Rater #24 | Flag as inappropriate

Comments

That was the exact reason I moved on from canyon , I considered my self we'll experienced in work and life for a very good fit and strong team player and never said no and caught on very fast with no unsafe practices by myself , but I was looked down on very deeply by manage ment ,supervisors , and especially co workers . When I announced I was considering another job on my 2 weeks off because canyon was not giving me very much work after my training was complete I was openly lied to by a manager at the reddeer terminal about insurance difficultys that could result from me picking up more employment , shame on you , you pathological liar you know who you are and your probably still there because your a perfect fit for that style of work place culture . You have lost a very strong team player with a military background over seas when I moved on to a more pleasant environment where even if you don't like my face you will still have my back not like the culture some have spawned at canyon and possibly other big frac corporations where you seem to fit in well by how well you lie about your miserable lives and your 60000 dollar pick up trucks.

Posted on 13 May 2015