CAA South Central Ontario

Industry: Call Centers, Customer Service

• I honestly believe CAASCO was, and will be again a great place to work. Most organizations have high's and low's as a result of economy, some bad business decisions, and even in some cases the wrong people in the wrong position. I have been with the organization for quite a while, and I think that we are headed the right direction once again. I have seen more cycles of good and bad times then I care to recall, and can and do agree with many statements made on this site...however with negative attitudes nothing will make the glass half full. Life is a learning experience, and we can only grow by making mistakes, and hopefully learning from them. I think we are finally learning again! I wish for all of you naysayers that you truly consider how lucky you are to work with some of the best colleagues in the country. Forget the politics, where else do we get to enjoy such cameraderie ?(sp). I love the people I work with - that means anyone I have contact with in a day, I.T., Accounting, Membership, it really doesn't matter who, it's up to us to look past the crap we have no control over, and decide that everyday is a great day!

Posted on 18 April 2012 by Rater #55 | Flag as inappropriate

Comments

Be proactive, put your neck on the line? Suggest what is working and what is not? Are you kidding me?

That is exactly the approach 90 percent of those who were just walked out the door tried to do!

If you want to keep your job, do exactly the opposite to what is suggested in the above post!

Posted on 5 May 2012

It is not for lack of ambition, but no desire to sit in a management position. I did what I had to do many years ago when they cut front line salaries. I signed a union card! I didn't post "our" dirty laundry all over the place - I trusted my colleagues to not go running to management when the union whisper started. No one got fired. If you put more effort into trying to make your work place better - be proactive, put your neck on the line and consider unionizing, or be honest with the folks in charge. Not just a shit fest, but a productive meeting that suggests what isn't working, and why you think it isn't working, and then tell them what you think will work! If that is still too worriesome to you, then perhaps type a letter from home, and send it in a brand new inter office envelope to ensure your anonymity! I am a firm believer if you do not have the balls to put your money where your mouth is - put up or shut up!

Posted on 5 May 2012

If your ambition (or lack thereof) is to earn an paycheck without any long term goals for work advancement, then I highly recommended you remain there commenter 39.

Posted on 3 May 2012

.........again the word career - I have a job with CAA, and have for a very long time! If you are on the prowl to raise your status you probably should get out!

Posted on 2 May 2012

It amazes me that this same crap is going on there year after year. Do yourself a favour and get out, it will be a very positive game changer for your career. Unlike "The Club", other organizations treat their employees as their greatest assets.

Posted on 2 May 2012

I am post 27, and no I am not MD as suggested. I am defensive of the company I work for. I did not ask for names, but in a broad brush asked for situations, where is the break down? To comment 36 ice cream was a very long time ago, and I am still as happy (maybe not as thin) but still hopeful! I have to agree, some posts removed, unsure why - but a very proud employee! Not a kiss ass, just an "ass"!

Posted on 1 May 2012

I don't remember ice cream - you got ice cream?

Posted on 1 May 2012

So post 27 asks for names, post 31 then identifies the person behind post 27 as opposed to the names post 27 was hoping to be identified and of course HR then goes and has post 31, and 32 for good measure, removed. While no names or title should be used on here, they asked for them and then of course when they don't like the results get all defensive. Another fine example of "open and honest".

Posted on 1 May 2012

Anyone one remember the off site. The ice cream. Hagen Daz I believe.

Now that is funny # 32!

Posted on 30 April 2012

How refreshing to see an actual attempt at explaining the issues rather then spewing false accusations and defensive comments. Thank you commenter 29. Did our former coo not coin the phrase "if you are not on the bus, you are off the bus?" Is this not the same situation, presented a different way?

Posted on 28 April 2012

Another conundrum - you ask for specific examples so as to understand, yet no one can give specific examples without giving away what department we work in or perhaps even who we are. And here is were the safety factor comes into play. If we felt we could voice these opinions openly without retribution, we would not need sites like this to vent our feelings. For me personally, I think it starts at the top- yes the very top. If the people directly below don't agree - do they feel safe enough to say so, or are they too afraid that there will be retribution. Seems to me we had a COO let go for having a differing opinion in the last couple of years. So if this cascades down, you have VPs afraid to not follow the party line; then the directors are afraid to rock the boat; then the managers are afraid; the supervisors are afraid and then this leads to the front lines who bear the brunt of all the politicizing. If by chance you already know the upper management person's position on the issue before being asked for your opinion, you can feel a little more at ease as you can just formulate your answer to fit the expected response. But now we are being asked for our opinion without first being told how we are supposed to feel and this them is setting us up for failure - because it is not a personal opinion the questioners are looking for but validation of the way they feel. So it is a minefield and you walk around hoping you are not forced to stand upon a mine. When you are, you are faced with a 50/50 chance of the mine blowing up in your face and the best you can hope for is it isn't enough to get you walked out the door.

Posted on 28 April 2012

first hr removes all posts that have names or titles and now hr asks us to converse with them by giving names? that is a pretty good example of the ethics we are fighting against

Posted on 28 April 2012

So we don't trust senior management to do the right thing...is that the message you are trying to convey? I understand and appreciate comment # 25, but who is considered Sr. mgmt - VP's and up, director's and up, or all of them? Is it just your immediate boss, or your boss's boss? Where is your trust and spirit being broken, and why do you think they cannot be trusted? Perhaps someone you liked and trusted was let go, but of course you were not present when they were terminated. You would only be hearing one side of the story, and we all know there is 3 sides to every story. Who are the very senior people/or what position did they hold prior to being "retired"?

Posted on 27 April 2012

This cannot be fixed without changes to the senior group as trust issues are to big. Sure some very senior people have been fired in the past year but mainly cause of being on the wrong political side and these weren't the ones people don't trust.

Posted on 27 April 2012

Here is the conundrum: The best way to re engage and fix morale would be to ask for honest feedback about what is causing the issues. However, the culture has slipped so far into fear and intimidation that at this point there really is no hope for honesty. Associates are too afraid to do anything but agree with whatever upper management is saying. The engagement survey is a great example of this. What to do? I am not sure, but whatever it is, it will be a long process as trust is not built overnight.

Posted on 27 April 2012

act honestly with integrity, business perspective over personal politicing, elimination of power cliques, lying treated as a fireable offense regardless of job level, taking accountability for failures and falling on the sword instead of blaming others, accept differing opinions instead of reflexive reaction to punish, limit the power of hr (that's a big one), hire competent business people not friends for senior roles. Need I go on?

Posted on 26 April 2012

So what would sr. mgmt have to do to re-engage staff, or fix morale? What sorts of things would it take to make things better in your opinion or anyone else who cares to comment? It's easy to rant, but what is the fix?

Posted on 26 April 2012

To comment 20: that reallly wasn't required or appropriate. You are treating the store associate with the same level of disrespect that you are being givn by senior mgmt at commerce.

Posted on 26 April 2012

I guess this company is destined to be siloed forever. So much for breaking down walls and making us a collective. Apparently no parody within the organization. I am sorry for us all!

Posted on 25 April 2012

Look store person if you don't work at commerce valley you have no clue. Occasional exposure is not anything when you see good people constantly being let go or minimized. Hillaby and woo run the whole place. If you piss one or both off you're gone. It's that simple. And if you fill it your survey "incorrectly" you're gone. If you say the wrong thing or disagree in any way you're gone. You're lucky you're in a store.

Posted on 25 April 2012

If the above commenter sincerely believes that we can save this company 'through being positive', they really should go get some meds because they are truly deluding themselves. A lot of the comments on this site are about how upper management goes blindly along their way, making decisions that the front lines know will not work but pushing them through so as to succeed with their personal agenda. It does not matter how positive the rest of the company is as long as bad decisions are made by unqualified leaders. Our 'second in command' keeps reiterating that 'people', or us, are one key to CAA being successful. Yet they are so out of tune to how low the moral and engagement has fallen that it is obvious they do not actually believe in what they are saying. If they did, action would be taken to re engage and to rectify the true cause of all this negativity. I too have worked here for many years, and to be blunt, have never seen so may tenured people leave - lets look at the insurance and ebiz groups - mass departures. Never have I heard so many people say they feel sick at the thought of coming in to work.

Posted on 25 April 2012

Sorry, I previewed, and entered before finishing my thought above...my point is, if we concur that they fail, we all fail epically - I am not prepared to let the bad decisions take us under. Those of us not in control, can and are in control of how positive we can remain to do our best to make a difference in our work atmosphere. I don't love work everyday, but most days I do, and it is truly better then not working at all. It pays my bills, keeps me out of trouble (except on here), and over all, gives me a sense of doing something that is productive - not just to me, our organization, but our members! Nuff said, I promise, I will not remark anymore!

Posted on 24 April 2012

I am not ball busting on purpose, and I do appreciate some of the comments. You are right, I am separated from H.O. and senior mgmt, but am directly affected by decisions they make. I have had the opportunity to use the "open door" policy on more then 1 occasion without retribution...I have also had the opportunity to sit at a bargaining table with HR, and senior mgmt, (not all the current players), and know all too well how decisions they make, can and do affect all of our lives...it is trial and error on all of our parts, depending on what is happening in the world, what happened 10 years ago, may not work today, what failed before was perhaps ahead of it's time

Posted on 24 April 2012

I don't think this is an HR plant (though some comments are), so give this person a break. No question some (maybe not most) long term employees have a great investment/dedication to the company and that is fine. This person also has the advantage of being isolated from head office and doesn't have to deal with the stupidity of senior mgmt on a daily basis like others of us do. As far as you not understanding the HR reference, well, if you saw them in action you would understand some of the frustrations people are expressing on here. Same goes for the reason others express skepticism of the "open door". Some of us have seen that "open door" often means something different than you expect.

Posted on 24 April 2012

Are you crazy? Of course with that much time invested I am concerned about the big picture! Just b/c I am a long term employee doesn't mean I retire soon. I have many years to still work. And listen, I am not saying what you are saying is totally untrue, what I am saying is in order to stay sane and "healthy" at work, we all need to get positive. I have no idea why you keep assuming b/c I don't agree with all you are saying, I must be in HR????

Posted on 24 April 2012

Right a 25 year retail employee all concerned about the big picture. You are so obviously an HR employee. How sad that this is a department priority. But. Given how useless the people are in the department its about as good a use as any for you.

Posted on 24 April 2012

Yeah, whatever... I did not crash, nor did I burn, I am not in HR. Tons of experience dealing with "ass's" aka associates, and even signed a union card! Wish I could speak with you personally - I get the big pic, just wish you could too. I chose to make a difference with the company I work with, I did not just speak "unknown"....I will reiterate, I believe CAASCO is on the upswing. Growing pains suck, but I think we are on our way to a better place!

Posted on 23 April 2012

And the hr thread crashes and burns.

Posted on 23 April 2012

OMG, you people are paranoid, or marginal employees with something to worry about! If you are that nervous to suggest that I am in for a bad surprise, I suggest that you really need to get a job that you believe in! I am a lowly peon with more then 25 years tenure. Yes liquid generally flows south...the "greatvine/grapevine" apparently starts at rate my employer! I am finished trying to make people see a big picture - apparently you don't get it, and have absolutely no interest in trying to understand what it's all about! Yes you are upset about an HR person that has "know idea" what club is all about, but with the exception of LB being let go there has been no "peon" escorted out the door in recent months, unless they were not doing what was/is expected! Again, no I am not in HR,I work in retail environment for a very long long time! Stop crapping on where most of us reasonable people are doing our best to make a living to get us by - either suck it up, or frig off! I am not a newby, and frankly very disgusted by what people say on this site! HR is not on here deleting posts - I'm sure they have way more fun things to do on a weekend or in their free time. I do not understand why people feel so slighted and don't feel the need to protect what they believe in! I believe in my friends/colleagues at work, who work the front line! Front line is what makes this organization...if you care to blame someone else for your short comings go for it, you will be the peon who is lead out the door! I cannot believe how little self esteem you have for the job you do if are that concerned about pink slips - honestly if you hate the environment that much leave before you poison your friends with your pessimism!

Posted on 21 April 2012

boy, your in for a bad surprise

Posted on 21 April 2012

I'm not worried, I trust him. Why would he "kiss" us first, if his intention is to "f" us?!?!? I have endured many bad leaders in my years with CAA, I honestly think he knows what this organization needs. His message is not cleaning out. I believe he knows about "getting his hands dirty @ work", and he is committed to making CAA not just a good place to work, but a great place to work. I think he relates to all staff better then most are giving him credit for.

Posted on 20 April 2012

careful of that "open door" it could lead you "out the door"

Posted on 20 April 2012

I do agree there have been some very bad business decisions in the last few years, but I believe we are getting back on track. I really don't think it's the "little guys" that are going to be streamlined, I think the mantra a number of years ago was "do more with less". I think one of the most recently departed "big wigs" was held accountable for a number of poor decisions, and there may or may not be more to come. I do believe we are somewhat top heavy but suspect it will correct itself given the new "open door" policy. I want to believe he is genuine, and has a big mess to clean up and lean up! If there is no hope there will be no success - we will all be masters of our own demise. It is up to each of us to contribute to our success as a whole. And no I am not in HR, but a long term employee with the desire to succeed no matter who is in charge. We are not victims of management unless "we" need an excuse to fail!

Posted on 20 April 2012

Being positive is great and all but in a sales organization there has to be accountability. Who is accountable for the ever-sinking bottom line? The company has made some piss poor decisions and yet they continue trudging along in the hopes that things will magically get better. For every bad decision they correct (ie: VP IT fired) they make 2 new ones (ie: Credit Card; Travel system; VP HR promoted to VP Club - funny how frequently that last one is mentioned on here). They need to remember that the company is a business not a high school clique.

Posted on 20 April 2012

o now hr is proactively posting. How funny is that. And getting very efficient with the post deletion process. It's a game of wacko a mole now. Pity sr management are so insecure this website has become a major issue. The more they get involved the more people will post to yank their chain. You have to love that.

Posted on 20 April 2012

Stolen from facebook just now, "Sometimes you just have to stop worrying, wondering and doubting. Have faith that things will work out, maybe not how you planned, but just how it is meant to be". How appropriate for how many are feeling right now. I believe in our family, and just hope that you do too! So much more productive then believing otherwise.....

Posted on 18 April 2012

That's why the glass is half full! Don't worry about what we don't have control over, focus on what is positive! Vast is an understatement! We are great - remember that! We will all win in the long run if we keep our eyes on what is important....we are important, the company, any company is secondary :)

Posted on 18 April 2012

The vast majority of employees are great, but senior management sucks

Amen, to that.