British Columbia Ambulance Service

Industry: Health Care, Social Assistance

• By far the worst employer I have ever had. Thinking back to 15 years ago, I was proud to be a part of this community & culture. Not anymore. Counting the days until I can get out of this toxic environment. Over the past 10-12 years the BCAS has succeeded in only one thing...completely demoralizing and undervaluing their employees. Completely unfair practices, legislated back to work, then conveniently, and quietly grouping us in with the Provincial Health Services under the Facilites bargaining association, which includes Janitors and Care Aides. I mean no disrespect to those professions, but by doing this they have now taken away our collective voice. Once upon a time we were referred to as Paramedics, not "ambulance drivers". We are degraded and disprespected on a daily basis. We are managed by a bunch of underqualified imbeciles. Sadly, we are losing more and more of our best & brightest to greener pastures with better employers. I think this province will be in a very sad state of affairs in the next 10 years as far as prehospital medicine is concerned. I am almost embarassed to call myself a Paramedic in this province now. If being a Paramedic is your calling, I highly suggest you seek employment in a province other than BC.

Posted on 15 November 2012 by Rater #18 | Flag as inappropriate