British Columbia Ambulance Service

Industry: Health Care, Social Assistance

• I tried to give this all "no stars"...wasn't allowed. Tried to give all "one stars"...wasn't allowed. Any score is too high for this employer. They deserve a zero. Here's why......This company is negligent on a daily basis, both in its treatment of employees but mostly its ability to respond to 911 calls in a safe and timely manner. Most people are unaware of poor ambulance service until they make the call to 911 and realize the "prompt service" they expect is a dream. It can take up to 2 hours in urban areas to have an ambulance respond while you suffer a heart attack or a stroke, and 30-45 minute waits during an emergency is normal in Metropolitan areas. Employees work at a rate of 5-10 times the national average for call volume with no breaks and are routinely left to go home sick without pay if they require a meal. When originally hired, employees travel hours in their personal vehicle to staff a station for $2/hour. With no benefits or guaranteed pay, most junior staff quit or become disgruntled before they gain full time employment. I would not suggest anyone apply with this employer without going to their local ambulance station and asking how the employee answering the door feels they're treated by their employer.

Posted on 15 November 2012 by Rater #17 | Flag as inappropriate