BC Hydro

Industry: Utilities (Electric, Gas, Water)

• I've worked for quite a few companies and for me BC Hydro ranks number one. In general the employees are professional and care about the electrical system. Hydro is going through a tough time right now and has been since the government review but that's the joy of being in the public spotlight. Due to headcount restrictions we've been forced to outsource engineering and field work to companies that are less experienced and cost more (no you wont see this story in the Province newspaper). There is also a minor brain drain since Hydro's contractors typically pay more than Hydro does (see above).

Posted on 29 November 2013 by Rater #38 | Flag as inappropriate

Comments

As a BC Hydro employee for over 25 years I can say it is a great corporation to work for, and is probably the greatest service provider for all British Columbians, think about it, where would we be without electricity? However it likley it could be even far better if the management was policed and made accountable by someone other than themselves and political parties, especally the Liberals. The Management recieves annual bonuses based on thier own criteria, this practice in some cases to reduce overhead costs in thier own department by employee lay offs, gets them a bonus, however they are not made accountable for exsessive costs they have created for for some other department, that can be as much as three times. In my mind this is not the way to provide inexpensive power to the province. There is many examples of this thoughout Hydro, past and current. Of course the Media doesn't help brodcasting that Hydro workers all have or will have "diamond studed saleries and pensions", agreed full pensions are healthy but the media fails to mention a full pension only come after 35 years of service, yes that's right 35 years! And the media also fails to mention that Hydro employees would recieve far more $ per hour if they did the same job in the private sector, thats because employees contribute to extended health and a pension plan. Yes it is a good plan, but like I said they pay for it, $400 to $600 per month, no not for 6 years like a politician but for 35 years.So next time you hear about the so called "diamond studded pensions" go start an RRSP and contribute $500 a month and see where you will be at retirement, I can only guess your friends will think you are diamond studded. Oh and don't forget what you can't do with $500 a month for 35 years. Hydro and other employees who contrbuted to a plan for 35 yrs, will retire with a decent pension and be a burden to no one. Those who have no pension likely will be.

Posted on 30 November 2013