BC Hydro

Industry: Utilities (Electric, Gas, Water)

• I have worked for BC Hydro form 15 years, holding a variety of jobs. I used to be proud to tell people I worked here, but now I'm embarrassed. The company is a mess.
    I have watched the company become extremely top heavy with upper management & HR. We used to have 3 VPs. Now we have 14, plus 26 directors and a slew of other upper management. How did we ever function without all these roles before? I'll tell you: we focused on the employees, the people who actually do all the work. It doesn't take 50 executive managers to tell a lineman how to do his job. Instead of firing employees as the current government suggests, fire upper management who've made such a mess of this company and HIRE more employees to keep the lights on.
    We contracted out all our customer service functions (billing, credit, etc.). We contracted out our computer helpdesks and offices services (janitorial, maintenance, repairs, etc.). We even contract out a lot of line and design work. When are we going to be allowed to hire enough employees to do all the work in house? Not while the government has its hands in BC Hydro's pockets, taking the lion's share of the profits and not even leaving enough to maintain our current infrastructure, let alone make improvements and upgrades.
    If you want a job where your day-to-day activities are overseen by a dozen managers and leaden bureaucracy halts any potential for advancement or improvements, then come to Hydro.
    If you want a rewarding and fulfilling career, look elsewhere.

Posted on 12 April 2013 by Rater #33 | Flag as inappropriate